Sunday, September 25, 2011

Saturday- Day Two


Even though I have only been here for 24 hours, I have discovered the hardest thing to adjust to will be the sleep.

I woke up many times in the middle of the night. Without any air conditioning, my mattress and pillows were always damp with sweat since it never got below 80 degrees. Non-profit organizations also can't afford new mattresses, ever. I awoke many times to readjust when one of the support boards from my bunk bed was digging into my back. Also, you can't move too much without getting a face full of the mosquito net.

In these first 24 hours, I have also discovered one of the best parts of the volunteer program. This morning after breakfast, I was in my training class when one of the other volunteers interrupted us to share the news that a nest was hatching!

I practically sprinted the half a mile down the beach to the project's hatchery to catch a glimpse of the baby leatherback sea turtles. Over a hundred hatched, and it was quite the sight. They were so adorable and small. They're always constantly trying to find the beach. They look like little wind-up dolls. Watching them frantically crawl into the ocean, already made up for my long day of travel yesterday, and my rough night's sleep.

Tonight I go on patrol. I'll be creeping the beach for 10 miles, and four hours. I really hope I get to see a grown adult female sea turtle. Nothing else could top this day.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete