Friday, September 23, 2011

Friday- Day One of Ten


I arrived at La Tortuga Feliz this afternoon. I'm excited to help save endangered sea turtles while also sharing my experience with others. I hope more people will volunteer after reading this blog.

I never thought I'd do such a wide variety of traveling in one day. My flight arrived at 5am in San Jose, Costa Rica. I then took a taxi to the bus station. I had some trouble buying my bus ticket this is where I wish I knew Spanish. My two hour bus ride was only five dollars though.

When I arrived in Bataan, I met Will, the man who runs La Tortuga Feliz. He loaded me and my pack into a a truck taxi. Our taxi ride was another hour, then we arrived at a small dock. The last leg of the trip was a 45 minute boat ride through the rain forest's canals.


I've settled into one of the cabins and unpacked. Eight other volunteers greeted me and welcomed me to camp. You can see the beach from my cabin, and the view is amazing. I don't have any chores to do on arrival day, so I won't get to see any sea turtles today. However, I cannot wait until tomorrow when I work a patrol shift. I'm hoping I can see some female sea turtles come onto the beach to nest. Soon all the difficult legs of my journey will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment